[governance] oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun Oct 16 08:43:03 EDT 2005

Lee McKnight ha scritto:

>I agree that would be dangerous and unacceptable.  A multistakeholder-led and balanced framework convention on the other hand, would be a whole new beast.

How exactly you do envisage such convention to work, from a legal /
formal standpoint? Do you imagine it as a document (a mixture between a
treaty and a contract) signed by governments as well as by the private
sector and civil society? And if all governments can sign it, how could
the "private sector" and "civil society" do so? Do you imagine that all
private companies and all NGOs (and perhaps also individuals) that are
involved with the Internet would sign it as well? Otherwise, how would
you make it binding to stakeholders that did not sign it? (Because I
think that a "convention" is something formally binding, not just an
open declaration of principles.)

I am not necessarily against this idea, but I don't see how it could
work in practice.

Thanks,