[governance] oversight

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Sun Oct 16 16:13:09 EDT 2005

Firstly agree with your comments that it may not be necessary to have it
stateled or to rush into things.

Having said that, state-led does help make it more enforceable or enforced.
Anyway, it may be useful to see precedents and see how we can learn from
this. I believe private sector has had more experience with working with
governments e.f MOU on MNCs (can't recall the name used for this), GMPCS
MOU, Law of the Sea negotiations, Outer Space negotiations,  etc than civil
society.

Would be good to see if any civil society precedents exist or is this
completely new territory? If it is new territory, we should not rush
otherwise, like the gTLD MOU it will not be enforced or enforceable.

Perhaps in the interim, there could be some agreement on the principles
"e.g."shared responsibility" "transparency" "universal participation or
inclusiveness" etc and then agree to form an interim committee to work how
to get this to work (kind of what the Law of the Sea did although their
effectiveness has yet to be seen) OR agree to continue working on making
ICANN include these principles and manifest a more international inclusive
structure.

Laina