[governance] ccTLD regulation [WAS Re: Statement made in Plenary]

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Oct 3 12:21:02 EDT 2005

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> It also seems to me that as a compromise position this offers something
> for almost everyone...

Actually, it seems that it's an already agreed thing. The US seem ready
to yield on it (and on the forum), and there's text to this effect in
the draft Tunis statement (para 54), even if it's an agreed para in a
non-agreed section, so still potentially subject to change.

(If anyone doesn't have the latest draft, here it is:
http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_multi.asp?lang=en&id=2130|0 )

To Veni:

> What makes you think that the other way will work better? What's
> wrong with the current model (and let's forget for the moment the
> usual reasons about "legitimacy", government control, etc.?

Well, no, let's not forget them, because adequate institutional
warranties are the base for a substainable environment (I don't believe
in benevolent dictatorships). But in any case, it seems to me that the
present system has failed to introduce competition and diversity at the
registry level, has failed to foster a quick introduction of IDNs, has
failed to ensure equal opportunities for access to the DNS around the
globe, has failed to make everyone feel represented and involved (from
developing countries to civil society to European governments... that's
what I call an "en plein"). While it also achieved many successes, and I
do think that we need to build on the current system rather than replace
it, at this stage in the process it's simply impossible to deny that
there are plenty of things that went wrong and need fixing.