[governance] process

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Thu Oct 27 14:42:22 EDT 2005

On October 26, 2005 1:52:23 AM PDT, Ronda Hauben wrote:

> How to encourage a broader set of participation would be a useful
> question  for this mailing list to consider as part of its effort
> to contribute to the civil society and wsis process.

As Geert Lovink  (see below) has asked, “What’s out of control?”
Isn’t the first  point, from a civil society perspective,  about
understanding,  sustaining and extending the effectiveness of the
Internet’s impact on socio-economic and political change?   If so,
then the second point has to be about explaining which intentions to
manage or contain its impacts do the least harm.

It seems to me that “a clear articulation of civil   society
principles”  would be about the effective uses of the Internet in the
service  of human development.  In that context we would have to say
that being online affects the conditions under which development
occurs – that the “development” question, and the role of nation
states in it, has become a subset of the Internet question.
Therefore the “Internet Governance”  question, not to be an oxymoron,
is now about governance “by” the Internet, not governance “of “ it.

Garth Graham
Telecommunities Canada