[governance] oversight

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Oct 27 09:30:29 EDT 2005

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> 10/27/05 12:32 AM >>>
>Not sure this is different than July Declaration.

It is different in that the US executive branch is demontrating support
from the Legislative branch.

Carlos Afonso
>> In plain English, the view is that the USA government has outsourced
>> Internet logical infrastructure management services to a US
corporation
>> called ICANN and will continue to do so for the sake of ensuring
>> continuing control over the network, in the name of "stability and
>> security". Period.

This is about right.

McTim:
>But they don't "control" the network in amy meaningful sense.
>Network operators do.

<chuckle> Identifier-based leverage is not complete control, of course,
and is still distributed in important ways (e.g., root server ops) but
nevertheless has significant effects on standards implementation in DNS
and IP-related areas, domain name and ISP industry revenues, law
enforcement and surveillance, the semantics of the name space, and above
all provides a check on someone else using those levers. I wonder what
those network operators would do without addresses and domain names?