[governance] oversight

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Wed Oct 26 18:26:58 EDT 2005

>>What if we take the key points of the Argentinian proposal
>

> I would avoid adopting or making reference to any governmental proposal,
> even if just as a starting point. If you start from the Argentinian
> proposal, you join the "pro-USG anti-EU" front, and if you start from
> the EU proposal, it's the opposite.

Why would it not be possible to escape that logic?

>>and adjust them
>>along the lines Adam began and ask a drafting group from the IG caucus to
>>prepare a draft that expands on each point, drawing on the discussion so
>>far as well as the civil society submissions to Prep-Com 3. This can then
>>be brought back  for further comment, before finalising it. The final
>>draft should be released to the media in the week before Prep-Com 3
>>resumes. The draft should use the format of Chapter 3 and be crafted for
>>insertion into the chapter. I propose Avri and Adam act as the drafting
>>group.
>

> I disagree. This is the most important and most contentious issue on our
> table: I don't see any subgroup being able to work on it satisfactorily.

As Avri pointed out, a group of the size of the active caucus members
definitely won't produce any satisfactory results. We need people who
take over responsibility and produce a draft very soon. If you donÄt
like Willi's proposal because you are not part of the club, why don't
you join it?

> I think that all drafting should happen on this list

Vittorio, this is impossible.

and we should adopt
> a rough consensus rule, i.e. documents cannot be released unless all
> objections have been considered and possibly accommodated.

I disagree with this suggestion because there will always be somebody
who objects. What we want I think is rough consensus. We have had this
debate before IIRC.

jeanette