[governance] oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Oct 26 18:11:16 EDT 2005

wcurrie at apc.org ha scritto:
> What if we take the key points of the Argentinian proposal

I would avoid adopting or making reference to any governmental proposal,
even if just as a starting point. If you start from the Argentinian
proposal, you join the "pro-USG anti-EU" front, and if you start from
the EU proposal, it's the opposite.

> and adjust them
> along the lines Adam began and ask a drafting group from the IG caucus to
> prepare a draft that expands on each point, drawing on the discussion so
> far as well as the civil society submissions to Prep-Com 3. This can then
> be brought back  for further comment, before finalising it. The final
> draft should be released to the media in the week before Prep-Com 3
> resumes. The draft should use the format of Chapter 3 and be crafted for
> insertion into the chapter. I propose Avri and Adam act as the drafting
> group.

I disagree. This is the most important and most contentious issue on our
table: I don't see any subgroup being able to work on it satisfactorily.
I think that all drafting should happen on this list and we should adopt
a rough consensus rule, i.e. documents cannot be released unless all
objections have been considered and possibly accommodated.

I respect Avri's and Adam's point of view on oversight, and even share
it in part, but it is significantly different to other points of view
that have been exposed in the past weeks, for example Milton's, or
Stephane's, or Patrick's. I would like to be sure that all these points
of view are duly reflected in any consensus document.

 > B.INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM

Incidentally, you might have noticed that we have already been working
on text for the part of section 5 regarding the forum. I'm still waiting
for someone to explain whether we can use that text, or what's wrong
with it.