[governance] oversight, & the need for netizen feedback processes

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Wed Oct 26 07:47:23 EDT 2005

Ronda:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Ronda Hauben wrote:

> And it seemed that one only goes to the regional registries if one
> wanted a block of IP numbers. Otherwise one had to deal with an individual
> vendors.
>
> I have heard that there is some concern that IP numbers are available
> to some regions but less so to others. So I don't know if the IP
> registries are free of problems.

They do have problems.  When IANA issues a new block of IP numbers they
are usually not routable.  This is because many ISPs world wide use
filters on their routers for IP which arenot issued.  This results in alot
of problems to new users of these blocks.

> I don't want to get into the particulars of IP numbers, but I do know
> that ICANN was supposed to be the oversight for them. Obviously ICANN
> is a problem and so can't be a means of oversight for anything.

Exactly right.  They will make a mess of things.  Greed for money and
technology just don't go together.

Cheers
Joe