[governance] oversight, & the need for netizen feedback processes

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Wed Oct 26 04:52:23 EDT 2005

I gave the IP numbers as an example that was raised in 1998. I don't
know how much one has to pay if one wants an IP number these days.

Do you?

And it seemed that one only goes to the regional registries if one
wanted a block of IP numbers. Otherwise one had to deal with an individual
vendors.

I have heard that there is some concern that IP numbers are available
to some regions but less so to others. So I don't know if the IP
registries are free of problems.

I don't want to get into the particulars of IP numbers, but I do know
that ICANN was supposed to be the oversight for them. Obviously ICANN
is a problem and so can't be a means of oversight for anything.

More specifically I haven't seen any thought being given to online means
for participating in the forum, in the wsis processes etc. If one knows
of the mailing lists for wsis one can try to join one. If one didn't
know of them, one is locked out of any way to know what is happening
except for what is posted on the web site.

And mailing lists are often hard for people to participate in, as
they can easily get their mailboxes swamped.

An online forum is sometimes a better form, but the one that WSIS had
a while ago was hard to participate in and when one did, one's views
were generally ignored anyway.

Even this governance mailing list has very few people able to participate
regularly in it.

When the views of someone who isn't a regular don't get a welcome, then
that that can serve to deter others who aren't it 'regulars' from
making the effort to contribute.

How to encourage a broader set of participation would be a useful question
for this mailing list to consider as part of its effort to contribute to
the civil society and wsis process.

cheers

ronda