[governance] oversight, & the need for netizen feedback processes

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:06:03 EDT 2005

Hello,

On 10/25/05, Ronda Hauben <ronda at panix.com> wrote:
<snip>
> One of the criticisms we heard at the 1998 meeting in Geneva leading
> to the creation of ICANN was that self management means that the vendor
> is being asked to manage himself. (I think there were service providers
> complaining that if they had a problem with those who were in charge
> of distributing IP numbers, they had to go to the entity who was causing
> the problem for redress. That is there was no system of oversight to
> go to outside of the entity that was in charge of the function itself.)

But it hasn't worked out that way at all.

If any user, netizen, ISP, corporation, university, etc has a problem
with "those .. in charge of distributing IP numbers"
all they have to do is join the (mostly online) fora set up for the
purpose of discussing policy changes in IP addressing policy.

Every Regional Internet Registry Service area has a community of folk
who decide these policies. The RIRs (the entity) carry out the wishes
of it's community as expressed in policy documents.  Netizens should
be more active in these fora.  They are completely open to all.  If
Netizens leave it to industry (which is pretty much the situation
now), they only have themselves to blame if they don't like smt.  Same
goes for ISPs who don't participate.

In fact, there is a f2f meeting going on 2moro in LA of the ARIN
region community.  If you listen to the webcast, you can actually see
(and hear) the "sausage" being made.

http://www.arin.net/ARIN-XVI/webcast.html

--
Cheers,