[governance] Forum: the EU is looking for inputs

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Mon Oct 24 04:45:49 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm slammed with an extended period of travels and other stuff that make
participating on all the topics here difficult, but I would like to
comment on the forum discussion.  I'm just back from Wolfgang's ICANN
Studienkreis meeting in Brussels, which was quite good.  While there I
spent a lot of time talking with Nitan and some also with the EU folks
regarding the forum.  My sense remains that at the political level of
principle, this is a done deal. It was always the only logical outcome
regarding institutional reform.  However, apparently there has not been
much discussion of how exactly to make it happen, most notably because
everyone is preoccupied by the fight over oversight.  The details surely
will not be worked out before Tunis; there will be a call, probably again
to the SG, to set up a group to devise a concrete plan for consideration
by the General Assembly in the spring.  The risk is that this group may
not be fully inclusive, in which case the idea could get twisted away from
our original proposal.

In light of my tooth grinding on this concern, Martin Boyle of the UK (EU
presidency) asked me to write a text laying out a vision of the forum,
which he said he would then share with all EU governments and other
parties. Nitan agreed that at the UN level, such a document would probably
be most welcome.

It would be far better if the caucus were to provide a collectively agreed
input.  Since the governments don't seem to have the juice to work through
a plan, something serious from CS could go a ways toward pre-configuring
the range of options and avoiding any slippage in the wrong direction.  I
would suggest that we think about a two-part contribution: 1) suggested
wording of the text that to be included in chapter 3, couple of
paragraphs, stating the broad parameters and calling on the SG to set up a
design group; and 2) a more extended doc, perhaps 3-5 pages, that details
some design parameters in light of which the chapter 3 piece would be
read.

In doing 2), I would think that the WGIG and previously agreed caucus text
(from the reply to the WGIG report)---which have much in common, not by
accident---provide a decent starting point, and that we don't need to
reinvent our own wheel.  Easier to add and flesh out than start over.

Collaborative drafting and tweaking on the list will be difficult as
always, it's hard to keep track of threads on a range of different points
and judge when consensus has been reached.  Isn't it possible for someone
(Milton? Adam?) to put up a text on a website and aggregate focused
questionnaire?  I don't know whether CPSR would have the bandwidth to
manage this at this time, we're doing a big org reinvention debate and
strategic plan process over the next few weeks, but could look into it if
nobody else can manage.  In the event that there is not full consensus on
every point, we might want to have a sign on option for individuals and
organizations.

On substance, just a few quick points responding to previous threads:

*Veni's statement that representatives from existing orgs should not be
allowed to participate in the forum is a complete non-starter.  This could
never be agreed and would anyway preclude any hope that the thing fosters
a measure of mutual adjustment toward greater coordination, per WGIG.

*As Jeanette noted, we have already discussed at length the notion that
the forum should not address issues "covered elsewhere" and specifically
rejected it in our agreed text responding to the WGIG report.

*I understand the objections to Vittorio's Executive Group, but suspect
that something like this would have to be established in any event, so
it's better that we have some agreement bounding its mandate and
operation.  Collective action requires a K group.

*One point from the EU proposal, on which they are very firm, and to which
we've spoken before, should probably be repeated explicitly, namely that
the forum would NOT do oversight and hence sense as a dysfunctional
backdoor substitute for the Council idea.

*On Michael's question about the relation to other proposed new
mechanisms: There will not be a  Commission for the Information Society to
coordinate WSIS follow up and implementation.  The Global Alliance is
proceeding down its own track and seems to have a 60% chance of happening
under DESA auspices, without US support.  It would be very helpful (and
much appreciated in New York) if we were to explicitly state that the GA
and the Forum are viewed as very different and non-overlapping animals;
the forum does governance, the GA does ICT4D, which could mean, e.g.,
telecenters in Peru, distance ed in Togo, and so on...clearly different.
There was a lot of unhelpful angst when GA people were imagining that the
Forum was intended to undercut the GA, or that governments would in any
event say well we can't create two new processes.  Whether the GA stands
or falls, it should do so on its own, without being polluted by gaming vis
the Forum, and I'd suggest we underscore that.

Anyway: we have a direct avenue now to influence the discussion.  The EU
wants to hear what CS thinks.  Could we perhaps start with our prior text
on a website and go through the existing and proposed provisions and try
to get them something in say two weeks?

Best,

Bill