[governance] Public policy issues - questions...

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Sun Oct 23 10:03:24 EDT 2005

On 23-Oct-05, at 9:10 AM, Jacqueline Morris wrote:

> Given that pornography is legal in many places, I would suggest that
> it fall under para 64 in general, and para 61 for places where it is
> illegal. Basically, we can't put something that is not a crime under
> cybercrime. Pornography is a complex public policy issue, and is very
> closely linked to cultural mores. Even the feminist world is divided
> on the issue. Similarly, the YC's para on internet gambling is a
> difficult thing to place, as it is legal in some places and illegal in
> others.

> My take on it is that with regard to cybercrime, we should aim for
> language that pushes coordination and joint activities, dealing with
> things that are officially crimes. If a country or a group has moral,
> ethical and cultural issues with something, then it is up to them to
> go through the relevant process to make it a crime, then it can fall
> under the cybercrime para. However, we shoudn't start listing issues
> as crimes - one person's crime is another's freedom of expression.

Jacqueline:

thanks for the comments

I wanted to point out that in the Political chapeau, as well as in
the Introduction, Implementation and Follow-Up there are references
to "ethics". They are listed below FYI.

Point being, let's be carefully watching the other documents too -
sometimes the issues get moved from one document to another. A case
is open source... It is now also in the political chapeau , and there
is a call to kill/remove the text in all other places. No sure if
people caught that ....

regards

Robert

PrepCom-3 (Geneva, 19-30 September 2005)
Chair's document: Political Chapeau
WSIS-II/PC-3/DT/12 (rev. 2)

10. We reaffirm our resolution in the quest to ensure that everyone
can benefit from the opportunities that ICTs can offer, by recalling
that governments, as well as private sector, civil society and the
United Nations and other international organizations, should work
together to: improve access to information and communication
infrastructure and technologies as well as to information and
knowledge; build capacity; increase confidence and security in the
use of ICTs; create an enabling environment at all levels; develop
and widen ICT applications; foster and respect cultural diversity;
recognize the role of the media; address the ethical dimensions of
the Information Society; and encourage international and regional
cooperation. We confirm that these are the key principles for
building an inclusive Information society, the elaboration of which
is found in the Geneva Declaration of Principles. (AGREED)

PrepCom-3 (Geneva, 19-30 September 2005)
Chair of WSIS Negotiation Group
Introduction, Implementation and Follow-Up
WSIS-II/PC-3/DT/26
http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/pc3/working/dt26.pdf

11. We reaffirm our commitment to providing equitable access to
information and knowledge for all, recognizing the role of ICTs for
economic growth and development. We are committed to working towards
achieving the indicative targets, set out in the Geneva Plan of
Action, that serve as global references for improving connectivity
and universal, ubiquitous, equitable, non-discriminatory and
affordable access in the use of ICTs, considering different national
circumstances, to be achieved by 2015, and to using ICTs, as an
additional tool to achieve the internationally-agreed development
goals and objectives, including the Millennium Development Goals, by:

(there are many sections - ethical is in - n -)

n) Encouraging the development of domestic legislation that
guarantees the independence and plurality of media, as well as taking
appropriate measures – consistent with freedom of expression under
certain restrictions provided by law for respect of rights or
reputations of others and the protection of national security, public
order and public morality. Reaffirming the responsible use and
treatment of information by media in accordance with the highest
ethical and professional standards

ANNEX -

C10. Ethical dimensions of the Information Society -  UNESCO/ECOSOC