[governance] Public policy issues - questions...

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Sun Oct 23 09:10:42 EDT 2005

Given that pornography is legal in many places, I would suggest that
it fall under para 64 in general, and para 61 for places where it is
illegal. Basically, we can't put something that is not a crime under
cybercrime. Pornography is a complex public policy issue, and is very
closely linked to cultural mores. Even the feminist world is divided
on the issue. Similarly, the YC's para on internet gambling is a
difficult thing to place, as it is legal in some places and illegal in
others.
My take on it is that with regard to cybercrime, we should aim for
language that pushes coordination and joint activities, dealing with
things that are officially crimes. If a country or a group has moral,
ethical and cultural issues with something, then it is up to them to
go through the relevant process to make it a crime, then it can fall
under the cybercrime para. However, we shoudn't start listing issues
as crimes - one person's crime is another's freedom of expression.
Jacqueline

On 10/22/05, Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:
> trying to get - back on topic -
>
> With references to Nazi's and child porn , it looks like we are on
> track with  Public policy issues. great!
>
> That' section 3 if i'm not mistaken, right?
>
> As Karen, Ralf and others have mentioned an interest in reviewing
> those sections. so great. Let me pose  a few questions...
>
> 1.  is  pornography covered by para 61 (cybercrime) or para 64
> (ethical values).
> 2. Nazi's , would covered where ? is there a hate speech section? If
> not, should there be?
>

>   Ref:
>
> Chair's paper (after fourth reading): Chapter three [WSIS-II/PC-3/DT/
> 10(Rev.4)]
> http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/pc3/working/dt10rev4.pdf
>

> regards
>
> Robert
>
> On 22-Oct-05, at 10:18 PM, Peter Dambier wrote:
>

> > Please excuse me beeing so blunt but here in germany
> > a lot of people stopped hunting NAZIs because they
> > were banned from the internet. Nobody could see them
> > any longer. But they still do exist.

Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com
T&T Music and videos online