[governance] Food for thought & next steps..

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Oct 20 16:25:36 EDT 2005

Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> The proposal Argentina proposed was developed with Canada too. If i'm
> not mistaken, it incorporates comments made by the African Group
> (Ghana), Uruguay, Singapore and aspects of the American position. So
> likely has the broadest consensus of  all the proposals on the table...
>
> Not sure what this group thinks of it - would be good to know. Any
> suggested tweaks?

The forum proposal, IMHO, is way too much watered down. To be blunt,
there is no clear definition of the mission apart from "do some blah
blah", immediately followed by "and in any case, we should possibly
discontinue it after a while". Also, there is no reference to
multistakeholder participation, online mechanisms, openness etc. And
finally, it does not apologize for Bryan Adams :-D

(However, it might be that some less detailed language is the most that
  can get out of the process at this time.)

> On another related issue, that of outcome. How would the caucus
> prepare for the following ...:
>
> 1. What happens if the discussions / negotiations end up to a point
> where we are worse off - with no agreement, at all on section 5. How
> could that be handled? Would a forum, be created just to deal with
> recommendations for section 5?

Yes. I think that one likely outcome is that they agree on the forum,
agree to disagree on the rest of section 5, and decide to use the forum
to continue the discussion. Not sure whether that would be good: it
would expose the forum too much and focus it on oversight rather than on
actual issues.

> So, a 600 seat room won't leave much room for CS  to participate.
> That a problem....
>
> To have the CS position known and considered in such a tiny room ,
> will be difficult. A strategy would be to prepare a CS position in
> advance and share it with delegations in advance of the event . Thus,
> there's a lot of work to do in the coming days ....In that context, I
> would agree with Jeanette and others that we - really - should stay
> focuses on preparing for the negotiations at the resumed prepcom

We should have our own wording proposal and put it on the table in
advance. And it should be so clever that everyone says, "wow!".