[governance] Food for thought & next steps..

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Oct 18 15:36:18 EDT 2005

Yep, perhaps a forum and an expert group (experts on governance structures)
to report to the forum would be a good outcome.

> 2. What happens if the US pulls something like it did at the recent
> MDG +5 summit in New York ...that is, tabling countless amendments at
> the very last minute so that a very, very, watered down final
> document results.
>
> Ref: Bolton's amendments to the MDG +5 summit document
> http://talkingpointsmemo.com/docs/us.comments.pdf

Multiple roots. But seriously, I am not sure what CS could do about that
tactic except object.

> 3. Bertrand and others have mentioned that the resumed prepcom will
> likely take place at a venue that seats about 600 persons. How much
> space is that - let's do the math..
>
> - 191 countries @ the UN x 3 seats each = 573 seats taken up
> - 20 seats for International organizations = 593 seats taken up...
> - leaving, 7 for civil society/ ngos..
>
> So, a 600 seat room won't leave much room for CS  to participate.
> That a problem....
>
> To have the CS position known and considered in such a tiny room ,
> will be difficult. A strategy would be to prepare a CS position in
> advance and share it with delegations in advance of the event . Thus,
> there's a lot of work to do in the coming days ....In that context, I
> would agree with Jeanette and others that we - really - should stay
> focuses on preparing for the negotiations at the resumed prepcom

If CS has things to say I think it needs to find a distribution method or
means to communicate positions without relying on speaking spaces. The
informal networking that has built up will be important.