[governance] Food for thought & next steps..

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Oct 18 08:49:11 EDT 2005

On 18-Oct-05, at 8:15 AM, McTim wrote:

> I didn't include Canada in my bollocks remark, I really liked the
> Canadian Forum proposal.  It totally addressed the key issue from my
> perspective (capacity-buliding).
>
> I was referring to:

> I had forgotten Canada since it got roundly booed on this list.

Sigh. Too much South Park perhaps? ;)

Well, I would suggest it get looked at again by the caucus...

The proposal Argentina proposed was developed with Canada too. If i'm
not mistaken, it incorporates comments made by the African Group
(Ghana), Uruguay, Singapore and aspects of the American position. So
likely has the broadest consensus of  all the proposals on the table...

Not sure what this group thinks of it - would be good to know. Any
suggested tweaks?

On another related issue, that of outcome. How would the caucus
prepare for the following ...:

1. What happens if the discussions / negotiations end up to a point
where we are worse off - with no agreement, at all on section 5. How
could that be handled? Would a forum, be created just to deal with
recommendations for section 5?

2. What happens if the US pulls something like it did at the recent
MDG +5 summit in New York ...that is, tabling countless amendments at
the very last minute so that a very, very, watered down final
document results.

Ref: Bolton's amendments to the MDG +5 summit document
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/docs/us.comments.pdf

3. Bertrand and others have mentioned that the resumed prepcom will
likely take place at a venue that seats about 600 persons. How much
space is that - let's do the math..

- 191 countries @ the UN x 3 seats each = 573 seats taken up
- 20 seats for International organizations = 593 seats taken up...
- leaving, 7 for civil society/ ngos..

So, a 600 seat room won't leave much room for CS  to participate.
That a problem....

To have the CS position known and considered in such a tiny room ,
will be difficult. A strategy would be to prepare a CS position in
advance and share it with delegations in advance of the event . Thus,
there's a lot of work to do in the coming days ....In that context, I
would agree with Jeanette and others that we - really - should stay
focuses on preparing for the negotiations at the resumed prepcom

regards,

Robert