[governance] Sense of the Senate Resolution

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Oct 20 07:13:53 EDT 2005

Danny, hello.

At 8:24 AM -0700 10/19/05, Danny Younger wrote:
>October 17th, 2005 - Washington, D.C.— - Senator Norm
>Coleman today introduced a Sense of the Senate
>Resolution to protect the U.S.’s historic role in
>overseeing the operations of the Internet from an
>effort to transfer control over the unprecedented
>communications and informational medium to the U.N. A
>final report issued by the United Nations’ Working
>Group on Internet Governance (WGIG) this past July
>recommended that the U.N. assume global governance of
>the Internet.

I don't remember WGIG making that recommendation.
It presented four models "for consideration" but
made no recommendation about any. One of the four
models suggested a new entity anchored in the UN,
another suggested a new entity linked to the UN,
the other two did not mention the UN.

Will be interesting if he holds hearings as suggested.

Adam