[governance] Sense of the Senate Resolution

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 11:24:10 EDT 2005

October 17th, 2005 - Washington, D.C.— - Senator Norm
Coleman today introduced a Sense of the Senate
Resolution to protect the U.S.’s historic role in
overseeing the operations of the Internet from an
effort to transfer control over the unprecedented
communications and informational medium to the U.N. A
final report issued by the United Nations’ Working
Group on Internet Governance (WGIG) this past July
recommended that the U.N. assume global governance of
the Internet. Next month, a possible U.N. takeover of
the Internet will be discussed at the UN-sponsored
World Summit on the Information Society meeting in
Tunisia.

“There is no rational justification for politicizing
Internet governance within a U.N. framework,” said
Coleman. “Nor is there a rational basis for the
anti-U.S. resentment driving the proposal.
Privatization, not politicization, is the Internet
governance regime that must be fostered and protected.
At the World Summit next month, the Internet is likely
to face a grave threat. If we fail to respond
appropriately, we risk the freedom and enterprise
fostered by this informational marvel, and end up
sacrificing access to information, privacy, and
protection of intellectual property we have all
depended on. This is not a risk I am prepared to take,
which is why I initiated action to respond on a Senate
level to this danger.”

The rest of the press release may be read here:
http://coleman.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=764