[governance] Sense of the Senate Resolution

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Thu Oct 20 08:28:25 EDT 2005

Adam:

The sense of the senate resolution is a clear indication of one thing
- that politicians  in the US are altered to the fact that
discussions are taking place on the issue of internet governance.

The fact that the resolution comes from the senate and from a
conservative should not be lost.  Perhaps due to the administration,
or press - or both - we likely find ourselves in a situation that the
US position is far firmer, and much less flexible than we had at PC3.

In summary:

- lowered expectations :  The EU, Brazil and others - is they are
smart enough, should have known this was a possibility. As a
consequence are expectations set so low that any result is a success?

- Neocon's altered: Let me remind everyone of Bill Drake's earlier
posting. One where he pointed out the complications of getting the
neocons alerted & mobilized...

- So how does this WG wish to respond. Does it wish to accept the
reality that the USG position is firmer and accept it, try to
mediate, or ignore and go on pushing for internalization. Can the
forum save things...?

> From: "William Drake" <wdrake at cpsr.org>
> Date: August 26, 2005 4:15:10 AM EDT (CA)
> To: "Governance " <governance at lists.cpsr.org>
> Subject: Re: [governance] From the Christian Coalition "action
> alert", 8-20-05
>
> Milton,
>
> Private responses suggest otherwise.  I suspect people simply don't
> feel
> motivated to prolonge a thread here, so we can let it drop.  One last
> comment, though.  It's not because I'm an expat; precisely the
> opposite.
> Eight years in Washington, including working at a foreign policy think
> tank, gave me a lot of clos exposure to how the US far right works.
> They're like Chinese foreign policy---long-term in outlook,
> methodical in
> build-up.  It's just a question of figuring out which seemingly
> innocuous
> statements are actually the opening salvos of a wider effort to
> come.  In
> 1999, I had the distinctly eerie experience of having lunch with a
> leading
> neocon thinker who told me that when the Republicans get back into the
> White House, "first we'll do Iraq, then we'll do Iran, then we'll
> do North
> Korea."  I mistakenly thought he was indulging a mid-day fantasy.  My
> antenna's a bit more sensitive now (the subsequent evaporation of
> steps 2
> and 3 notwithstanding).
>
> Best,
>
> Bill