[governance] oversight

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 19 08:59:23 EDT 2005

Danny, Hi.

I've asked a few people for advice on how
exemptions of the type I mentioned might be
negotiated. If they could only be done with
Congress' approval then the idea is likely dead.
Let's see.

Anyway.  I've been wondering about this for a
while and think these possible exemptions from US
trade law might be part of a large piece.  The
"host country agreement" issue represents one set
of concerns governments have with the US'
influence over ICANN.  Other issue is of course
the root zone: IANA contract and MoU.  Milton
read a statement in Geneva (text below) that
elaborated on recommendations we made in our
response to the WGIG report. Basically a
suggestion that the US government make a "formal
and explicit commitment that it will take no
action to unilaterally remove a ccTLD from the
root, alter ccTLD root zone files, or contradict
or veto root zone file alterations approved by
independent and legitimate ICANN processes."

I think if we combine the suggestion about
offering immunities to ICANN on certain matters
with this commitment not to act against the
interests of others via the root, to free ICANN
from the MoU, etc., then we are suggesting a way
for the US to show that it remains a good and
safe steward for the Internet (with minimal pain
to itself, and perhaps without need to go to
Congress.) Other governments should have their
main fears lessened. i.e. it's a few steps
forward, might be an acceptable compromise.

If the US agrees to make a statement and
commitments then the EU and some others might
reasonably drop requests for greater govt
involvement and oversight of the DNS, leaving
that discussion until the establishment of the
forum (when nations might be able to speak for
themselves and not under EU consensus. And giving
the forum and issue of importance to kick off
with.) It might be enough to say that progress
has been made, everyone reassured and the
opportunity for meaningful further debate exists.

A lot of ifs, and I might be getting carried away...

Thanks,

Adam

Text of Milton's statement to prepcom 3:

"Civil society believes that the Internet's value
is created by the participation and cooperation
of people all over the world. The Internet is
global, not national. Therefore, "No single
Government should have a pre-eminent role in
relation to international Internet governance."
The WGIG report came to a consensus on that
position. It is expressed in paragraph 48 of the
WGIG Report. Civil society expresses its strong
support for that conclusion.

     We recognize, however, that it is not enough
to express dissatisfaction with the status quo.
Feasible methods of moving forward must be
proposed. We offer the following recommendation:

     The US government agreed in its June 30
Statement that governments have legitimate public
policy and sovereignty  concerns with respect to
the management of their ccTLD, and has welcomed
the opportunity for further dialogue on  these
issues. In keeping with those statements, the US
government should make a formal and explicit
commitment that it will take no action to
unilaterally remove a ccTLD from the root, alter
ccTLD root zone files, or contradict or veto root
zone file alterations approved by independent and
legitimate ICANN processes.

     Such a commitment from the US would be a step
forward in multi- stakeholder efforts to come to
a long term resolution of the controversies
surrounding the US Role in Internet governance.
At the same time, it would not be a difficult or
costly commitment to make,  because it is already
a tacit principle underlying ICANN and the US
government's methods of supervising ICANN.
Failure to make such a commitment, on the other
hand, can only contribute to the further
politicization of what should be a neutral
coordination function.

     We hope that governments, business and civil
society can make this simple commitment the basis
for moving forward." (end quote)