[governance] host country agreement + "geostrategic innocence"

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Mon Oct 17 16:11:08 EDT 2005

HI Joe,

Would have appreciated being disagreed to without labelling it "nonsense". I
was suggesting this only as a way to try to help IG caucus discussions on
"host country agreement" as defined in WGIG and the IG coordinators.

Please see my other remarks in other emails, where I state EXACTLY what you
state below. I am quite aware of the issue of true "control" as such, and
also there are different issues of "oversight" as such, involved when we
speak about existing TLDs, the root oversight, the creation of new TLDs, the
"potential" removal of ccTLDs, etc.

BTW, it is not WSIS who should bypass as you suggest, but it would be
keyplayers calling for bypass and another solution. WSIS is merely a UN
conference of multistakeholders and not an organ.

If you do read my postings, you would have seen that I did also indicate the
reasonableness of the people operating the root servers and how there may be
another way out to get a bottom up solution to this issue. I also indicated
if we had focused on gettting the facts right, we could have avoided the
"emotiveness" at WSIS.  Lee McKnight also pointed this out and therefore
suggested different viewpoints from the various constituents, e.g. rootops
operators, etc and another from the IG or the likes of Adam, Jeanette and
Norbert may be the only way forward.

Please I am trying to see if we can focus on getting someway forward for IG
to make some contributions to guide the WSIS discussions along. Of course,
we could also suggest a non-WSIS solution.

Either way, I do welcome criticisms on my point of view, but I think we can
work on being cordial so we can also work on getting some concrete work done
rather being at deadlocks ourselves! (PS-I notice, many people don't read
each others emails before responding.)

Laina