[governance] host country agreement + "geostrategic innocence"

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Mon Oct 17 16:37:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Laina Raveendran Greene wrote:

> Would have appreciated being disagreed to without labelling it "nonsense". I
> was suggesting this only as a way to try to help IG caucus discussions on
> "host country agreement" as defined in WGIG and the IG coordinators.

Well it is nonsense.  The WSIS process is no longer salvagable.  The
process has been heavily burdened with lots and lots of side issues that
go nowhere.  Thats been the problem, too much focus on a multitude of side
issues and not enough attention to the meaty issues - like the question -
who runs those root servers anyway.

What the world needs to do if you want to see governance save te day is
agree to a world wide version of RFC 1591.  There is no actual need for
governance.  Also whatever draft you come up with MUST incorporate legacy
data.  I understand that - but legacy data no longer includes a few minor
cclds.  The TLD universe has expanded and is expanding - those proprietary
rights MUST BE recognized.

Any attempt to control the beast will rock the boat.  ICANN is an
excellent example of this.

But for now - if governments want a voice in the process of control, they
must speak with the existing USG root operators directly.  And if
governments want to take over their own Internet - they can do what china
has done - or turkey which has it's internet experience provided by the
public-root.

> Please see my other remarks in other emails, where I state EXACTLY what you
> state below. I am quite aware of the issue of true "control" as such, and
> also there are different issues of "oversight" as such, involved when we
> speak about existing TLDs, the root oversight, the creation of new TLDs, the
> "potential" removal of ccTLDs, etc.

No not oversight, just RFC 1591 - which means recognizing that once a
label is used it should not be collided with.  The only oversight you need
is a means for people and companies to register those names, and then you
leave them alone.  A libraian could accomplish that task easily.

You see - adding and subtracting TLDs from the root is alot like having
dogs mark their territory.  When a dog marks his spot other dogs don't
usually tresspass.  Well that the net for you - a stable network requires
stable labels - and the ability for labels to be created quickly.

Thats why the public-root has become the success it is today.  At
the public-root businesses can add labels with minimum fuss.

So you see when you speak of legacy data (existing TLDS), are you also
including those turkish TLDs operated by the public-root on behalf of the
turkish government and the turkish internet users?

> If you do read my postings, you would have seen that I did also indicate the
> reasonableness of the people operating the root servers and how there may be
> another way out to get a bottom up solution to this issue. I also indicated

Does that assessment include an understanding of what happened on the day
Paul Vixie and Jon Postel highjaked the USG root system.  Anyone know that
bit of internet history?

I'm sorry but I disagree completely here.  How reasonable you think people
are is of no concern.  What we need are binding root operator contracts.
Or else a new way of distributing the root zone and sharing access to it.

Which is what we are doing at the Public-Root.

> Please I am trying to see if we can focus on getting someway forward for IG
> to make some contributions to guide the WSIS discussions along. Of course,
> we could also suggest a non-WSIS solution.

Join the Public-Root - after months of hard work and investigation - were
ready for members.

> Either way, I do welcome criticisms on my point of view, but I think we can
> work on being cordial so we can also work on getting some concrete work done
> rather being at deadlocks ourselves! (PS-I notice, many people don't read
> each others emails before responding.)

Probably because of volumn.  And don't take it as critisim.  I use strong
words.  I'm interest more in seeing us focus on the end result.  The WSIS
as i see it is dead.  This november will be an entertaining month.  Thats
for sure.  But I do see good things rising from its ashes.

regards
joe baptista

Joe Baptista, Official Public-Root Representative and Lobbyist to the
United States Congress and Senate / Tel: +1 (202) 517-1593

Public-Root Disclosure Documents: http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/