[governance] host country agreement + "geostrategic innocence"

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 08:50:56 EDT 2005

Hi Joe,

On 10/17/05, Joe Baptista <baptista at cynikal.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, McTim wrote:

> > ICANN doesn't "run" the rootservers, (although I think they would like
> > to have a greater degree of control over the root operators).
>
> Thats almost right.  In fact ICANN DOES RUN one root servers, thats the

Yes, I meant to include that tidbit of data.

> So we can say that the U.S. of A. controls either
> directly or indirectly six of the root servers

As I have stated before on this list, this doesn't bother me.  It's a
red-herring AFAIAC.

Some folk who are bothered by this would point to Univ of Maryland,
Cogent and ISC servers as being in the USA and say they are subject to
USG  control as well.

> The remainder of the root server operators have no contracts with anyone
> and are completely independent operators.

This doesn't bother me either, I think it is quite useful.

> Have a look at the current status of root operations:
>
> http://www.root-servers.org/

 I sent that url to this list a few weeks ago.  ;-)

> So we can say 7 of the root operators are open for business.

And the others are closed?

> I beleive there is no need.  ICANN's days are numbered.

To be replaced by....???

--
Cheers,

McTim