[governance] host country agreement + "geostrategic innocence"

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Mon Oct 17 13:11:38 EDT 2005

Hi McTim

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, McTim wrote:

> > So we can say that the U.S. of A. controls either
> > directly or indirectly six of the root servers

> Some folk who are bothered by this would point to Univ of Maryland,
> Cogent and ISC servers as being in the USA and say they are subject to
> USG  control as well.

Ya that is an argument that could be made in some cases.  But let us not
forget that in the case of ISC that does not necessarily apply.  The ISC
may only have one root server like Anotomica and RIPE.  But there are many
instances of those root servers at high speed data facilities outside the
USA.  This gives these particular root operators control of a majority of
root operation that are completely outside of USA control, ISC is one of
the largest entities to which this applies.

> > The remainder of the root server operators have no contracts with anyone
> > and are completely independent operators.
>
> This doesn't bother me either, I think it is quite useful.

It should bother you.  Should bother anyone who uses the network.  Lets
not forget the big question - who uses the data collected by these root
servers?

http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/RSPC.pdf

There unresolved privacy issues here.

> > So we can say 7 of the root operators are open for business.
>
> And the others are closed?

The military controlled servers are out.  The rest would follow the herd.

> > I beleive there is no need.  ICANN's days are numbered.
>
> To be replaced by....???

Good question.  The Public-Root seems like an appropriate choice?

regards
joe

Joe Baptista, Official Public-Root Representative and Lobbyist to the
United States Congress and Senate / Tel: +1 (202) 517-1593

Public-Root Disclosure Documents: http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/