[governance] PrepCom 3 IG outcomes?

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Wed Nov 16 05:09:35 EST 2005

Hi Bret,

There is no specific language about the participation modality
at all in the document they agreed. It is such a vague language
yet that is why they could agree at the last minute.

It could become a point of negotiation itself, ie, how much
the governments allow other stakeholders to participate in
the "decision making". "particiapte" in general could mean
obeserving in the room, making limited statements when
the chair allow, or free intervention just like the government
delegations. My guess is when it becomes the serious negotiation
among the governments, they will impose certain limits to
other actors, and individuals per se are likely not to be allowed
to participate in a meaningful manner. YET, that is why
this Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus, for example,
could act as a good catalyst to faciliate individuals to participate
the process without forming or belonging another body.

But that is my personal observation and the Caucus should
discuss these points today, tomorrow, here in Tunis, as well
as among members online.

izumi

izumi