[governance] Name - Global Alliance?

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Fri Nov 11 07:40:42 EST 2005

"Alliance" does not sound as the most fortunate term for something dealing
with ICT. I may be influenced by historical connotations (19th century).
Alliances were usually created against somebody and in secrecy (The Holly
Alliance, 1818 - The Quadruple Alliance, 1879 - The Dual Alliance, 1882 -
The Triple Alliance).

Might the meaning have evolved since? My main concern is that an alliance
usually conjures up an "us" against "them" image. Any enlightenment on the
political etymology of the proposal to establish a "Global Alliance"?

Is it too late to change the name of the "Alliance" initiative?

Jovan