[governance] APC - Forum draft?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Nov 11 02:40:31 EST 2005

There's an old saying, "a camel is a horse designed by a committee".

In other words, when you get to the level of detail we are at now,
committees and caucuses don't function well. Particularly if tight deadlines
are imposed.

Governments are having the same problems, I think.

Step up a level. There is a lot of agreement here on principles, main
problems, main directions. I could list the things where there is total
agreement and there are many, but they aren't the detail.

I would be looking towards an expert group, a framework convention, a
smaller representative body, a  post-Tunis forum to recommend on the detail.

For the next few days, I would stick to the principles and the overall
direction on which there is a lot of previous agreement, and look to add
support to the mechanisms to move forward.

And I would be looking to react to the proposals coming from the decision
makers who hold power in UN (eg governments) and seeking to reinforce their
best efforts and bringing them to reality, rather than bringing forward left
of field last minute brilliant ideas that have no time to be discussed or
considered in the next few days.

Ian Peter
Senior Partner
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd