[governance] APC - Forum draft?

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Fri Nov 11 02:35:26 EST 2005

Very perceptive assessment, and you should also add those who have given up
on giving inputs thereby keeping silent as they usually are ignored or
attacked.

I agree that there is almost a greater agreement on principles and concepts
e.g. forum and multistakeholder, but we differ in details and the actual
implementation. Can there be a way to reflect the common points, and then
the issues we disagree on, we can regroup into smaller groups and make
several inputs (whether it be the North versus South, techies versus non
techies, ICANN versus non ICANN, etc etc. I see no harm with different
inputs from CS on those areas of disagreement as the gov and private sector
too do not have common positions on all items. I disagree with you here,
Jeanette that this route will be political suicide. I tended to agree with
Lee's suggestion (made a long while ago) to have multiple submissions from
CS on those points of disagreement.

This could be a more productive process than trying desperately force
everyone to agree to one single document or have a small group claim to
speak for all. This tends to lead to treating those who do not agree as
"veto actors" or trouble makers. We do have to break this "inside" expert
group versus "new comers" etc attitude and work to reach rough concensus on
common issues, and prepare a common paper on areas we can agree on, and
multiple papers where we disagree.

Laina