[governance] APC - Recommendations to the WSIS on InternetGovernance

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:18:08 EST 2005

I concur with other comments : excellent text.
 I suppor tin particular the notion of a binding multi-stakeholder
instrument (Convention, framework, agreement, Charter), the form and name of
which having to be discussed but that would fundamentally establish :
- each human's equal and inalienable right to access the Global
Communication Space enabled by the Internet, to freely express themselves,
retrieve information and conduct activities on a transnational basis
- their shared responsibility to maintain the unity, stability and security
of that space, through open, inclusive and participatory mechanisms based on
peer status
- the mechanisms by which its binding requirements will be implemented and
enforced
 The APC paper builds upon the notion of the framework Convention that the
Internet Governance Project has often put forward; but adding the dimension
of it being multi-stakeholder gives more flesh and is more adapted to the
subject.
  It would also provide the required political legitimacy for the
establishment of the Forum in an open format. The Internet, as a man-made
Global Commons (or facility) to be accessible by all humans; is the enabling
infrastructure for a Global Polity (ie a political space). Its governance
can only be the shared responsibility of all citizens, who should have the
right to participate, in an appropriate manner, in deliberations related to
issues they are impacted by or have an impact upon.
 We are now faced with the interesting question : what sort of instrument
can be multi-stakeholder and binding ?
 Next week will be fascinating.
 Best
 Bertrand