[governance] APC - Recommendations to the WSIS on Internet Governance

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Thu Nov 10 08:42:36 EST 2005

Hallo all

Please don't distribute this version... I will send a clean copy in about an
hour.  Thanks to Adam, Jeanette and Avri for the inputs.  We look forward
to more comments.

Anriette

> APC have produced a very good set of proposals on Internet governance.
>
> A near final draft is attached (I think some further layout work is
> being done, but substance is complete.)
>
> Karen and Anriette asked me to send to the list. Please see attached.
> Sorry, I only have MS Word, expect APC will provide in other format
> and I think languages.
>
> ACP's proposing action in 5 areas:
>
> "1. The establishment of an Internet Governance Forum;
>
> 2. The transformation of ICANN into a global body with full authority
> over DNS management, and an appropriate form of accountability to its
> stakeholders in government, private sector and civil society;
>
> 3. The initiation of a multi-stakeholder convention on internet
> governance and universal human rights that will codify the basic
> rights applicable to the internet, which will be legally binding in
> international law with particular emphasis on clauses in the universal
> declaration of human rights specifically relevant to the internet,
> such as rights to freedom of expression, freedom of association and
> privacy.
>
> 4. Ensuring internet access is universal and affordable. The internet
> is a global public space that should be open and accessible to all on
> a non-discriminatory basis. The internet, therefore, must be seen as a
> global public infrastructure. In this regard we recognize the internet
> to be a global public good and access to it is in the public interest,
> and must be provided as a public provision.
>
> 5. Measures to promote capacity building in developing countries with
> regard to increasing developing country participation in global public
> policy forums on internet governance."
>
> I think there is a lot here we can draw on.  Avri, Jeanette and I
> provided some input to the paper, but it is very much APC's work:
> credit to Karen and Willie Currie.
>
> I think the forum text is particularly well developed and with APC's
> permission suggest we adopt it as the basis for our discussion.  I
> will send a text version of the section about the forum as a separate
> email. I hope we can work with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

Anriette Esterhuysen, Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
PO Box 29755, Melville, South Africa. 2109
Tel. 27 11 726 1692
Fax 27 11 726 1692