[governance] APC - Recommendations to the WSIS on Internet Governance

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 08:29:52 EST 2005

APC have produced a very good set of proposals on Internet governance.

A near final draft is attached (I think some further layout work is
being done, but substance is complete.)

Karen and Anriette asked me to send to the list. Please see attached.
Sorry, I only have MS Word, expect APC will provide in other format
and I think languages.

ACP's proposing action in 5 areas:

"1. The establishment of an Internet Governance Forum;

2. The transformation of ICANN into a global body with full authority
over DNS management, and an appropriate form of accountability to its
stakeholders in government, private sector and civil society;

3. The initiation of a multi-stakeholder convention on internet
governance and universal human rights that will codify the basic
rights applicable to the internet, which will be legally binding in
international law with particular emphasis on clauses in the
universal declaration of human rights specifically relevant to the
internet, such as rights to freedom of expression, freedom of
association and privacy.

4. Ensuring internet access is universal and affordable. The internet
is a global public space that should be open and accessible to all on
a non-discriminatory basis. The internet, therefore, must be seen as
a global public infrastructure. In this regard we recognize the
internet to be a global public good and access to it is in the public
interest, and must be provided as a public provision.

5. Measures to promote capacity building in developing countries with
regard to increasing developing country participation in global
public policy forums on internet governance."

I think there is a lot here we can draw on.  Avri, Jeanette and I
provided some input to the paper, but it is very much APC's work:
credit to Karen and Willie Currie.

I think the forum text is particularly well developed and with APC's
permission suggest we adopt it as the basis for our discussion.  I
will send a text version of the section about the forum as a separate
email. I hope we can work with it.

Thanks,

Adam