[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Wed Nov 9 13:50:58 EST 2005

Hans:

I appreciate your comments, and of course, they are very interesting.
I don't want to disturb the ongoing discussion in the caucus list  with
this debate, but let me make some comments again.

Hans Klein wrote:

> The choice between "social control" and "political oversight" is
> addressed by the hierarchical model of institutional design.
>
> At a lower level, decisions are made by "social control". This is
> decision-making by stakeholders (e.g. the ICANN board.)  It is largely
> technical decision-making.
>
> At a higher level is political oversight. This is decision-making by
> representatives of the people (ideally elected governments.)  It is
> values-based decision-making.

Why it should be in this way? Why not have an important involvement of
all stakeholders in both technical and political decisions?
The fact that the things have worked in some way until now, don't
demonstrate that they could not work in a different way.
My point is that elected representatives (elected governments as you
say) are not more elected to represent the view of the people in every
field. People has the right to express themselves through different ways
in different matters. Then a consituency representing a given group of
stakeholders could be as representative as any government within a given
scope. Of course, this constituency could not claim for representation
in a different environment.

I think that the perfection of the multistakeholder approach, could be
(let's try) enough to have some kind of "oversight" that I prefer to
name as "social control" exercised directly by the stakeholders,
including obviously civil society. It is clear that all of us have also
to perfect our daily participation in the system.

The very good reasoning that you made in the following paragraphs is
based in this assertion  and I don't agree with that, and so, I don't
share your conclusions.

Raúl

Raúl