[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 9 11:51:59 EST 2005

>> My recommended solution would be:
- restore ICANN elections but treat them as provisory (the mechanisms still
need work!)>>>

I have no faith in ICANN elections to gain representation to be able to
claim legitimacy - it may serve limited purpose of broadening the
accountability processes. But still be will be too biased to certain regions
and certain sections of the society.

I have said it earlier - Internet governance needs representation of all -
those on the net today, and those who are not. So, in this case, ICANN
election system needs to reach the whole population of the world. Is it
possible - may be someday, because IS changes take place fast. There will be
new possibilities to solve problems of global representative-ness in the
future - but it will not only require socio-technical growths but evolution
of socio-political systems. We need to aim for it - but it is still far
away.

Meanwhile much can be lost through a privatized governance representing
certain interests and excluding others - who need greater support.

>>- maintain some governmental oversight, perhaps just unilateral>>

US unilateral control of course is completely unacceptable.

Parminder