[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp) apeake at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:46:16 EST 2005

Parminder

On 11/10/05, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Adam

> Governance Project and use that as basis for our discussion about
> >>ICANN.  Personally, I think it's an excellent paper.

> >>definition provided by WGIG and adopted during prepcom 3). Only about
> >>ICANN, what the paper calls "Narrow oversight refers to the policy
> >>supervision of ICANN and its administration of Internet identifiers.">>>
>
> In an earlier email I had expressed my appreciation of a lot of the analysis
> in the paper, but disagreement with its outcome.
>
> The new paper by Milton and others concludes that a reformed ICANN be left
> without political oversight - which is unacceptable -

Why is it unacceptable?  And what exactly do you mean by "political
oversight"? Do you mean this is a role for governments?

Be specific please.

Thanks,

Adam

> and also quite at
> variance with earlier outputs form the IG project. IG project's response to
> WGIG report clearly calls for setting into motion a process for framework
> convention - and does not approve of an ICANN doing its own political
> oversight (if that can be  a meaningful concept). Such a move towards
> establishing the rule of law is also well articulated in the recent paper by
> Hans Klein, and his subsequent postings.
>
> The recent paper by Milton speaks of narrower oversight and broader
> oversight - and promises to deal with the broader oversight issue later.
> There is a big problem here. The narrow and broader oversight areas are
> horizontal divisions, and not vertical components, and therefore can not be
> considered separately form one another. The interface between the two is the
> whole issue - and if the narrow oversight is not defined in a manner that it
> has a workable interface with the broader oversight - than there is no point
> in determining the mechanisms of broader oversight later. How will the
> broader oversight then be enforced on the realm of the narrow oversight. I
> have found the attempt to separate the two - in this manner - always
> problematic. An analytical separation soon becomes a political separation.
>
> Can we instead try to build a consensus around IG project's response to WGIG
> report. (Internet Governance Quo Vadis? A Response to the WGIG
> Report)(http://www.internetgovernance.org/)
>
> Parminder

Email from Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
Email from my Gmail account probably means I am travelling.  Please
reply to  <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> Thanks!