[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 9 11:01:09 EST 2005

Adam

>>> I suggest that the caucus endorses the paper by the Internet
Governance Project and use that as basis for our discussion about
>>ICANN.  Personally, I think it's an excellent paper.

>>>This is *not* about Internet Governance broadly (i.e. the working
>>definition provided by WGIG and adopted during prepcom 3). Only about
>>ICANN, what the paper calls "Narrow oversight refers to the policy
>>supervision of ICANN and its administration of Internet identifiers.">>>

In an earlier email I had expressed my appreciation of a lot of the analysis
in the paper, but disagreement with its outcome.

The new paper by Milton and others concludes that a reformed ICANN be left
without political oversight - which is unacceptable - and also quite at
variance with earlier outputs form the IG project. IG project's response to
WGIG report clearly calls for setting into motion a process for framework
convention - and does not approve of an ICANN doing its own political
oversight (if that can be  a meaningful concept). Such a move towards
establishing the rule of law is also well articulated in the recent paper by
Hans Klein, and his subsequent postings.

The recent paper by Milton speaks of narrower oversight and broader
oversight - and promises to deal with the broader oversight issue later.
There is a big problem here. The narrow and broader oversight areas are
horizontal divisions, and not vertical components, and therefore can not be
considered separately form one another. The interface between the two is the
whole issue - and if the narrow oversight is not defined in a manner that it
has a workable interface with the broader oversight - than there is no point
in determining the mechanisms of broader oversight later. How will the
broader oversight then be enforced on the realm of the narrow oversight. I
have found the attempt to separate the two - in this manner - always
problematic. An analytical separation soon becomes a political separation.

Can we instead try to build a consensus around IG project's response to WGIG
report. (Internet Governance Quo Vadis? A Response to the WGIG
Report)(http://www.internetgovernance.org/)

Parminder

We seem to be struggling with "oversight" at the moment.

I suggest that the caucus endorses the paper by the Internet
Governance Project and use that as basis for our discussion about
ICANN.  Personally, I think it's an excellent paper.

This is *not* about Internet Governance broadly (i.e. the working
definition provided by WGIG and adopted during prepcom 3). Only about
ICANN, what the paper calls "Narrow oversight refers to the policy
supervision of ICANN and its administration of Internet identifiers."

I would be interested to hear opinions on this.

Can you support this paper?

Thanks,

Adam