[governance] Present draft does not consider 'real oversight options'

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Sun Nov 6 13:39:05 EST 2005

Parminder

About substantive issues - opinion on the issue of privatised
governance is not consistent throughout the developing world. As a
person from the developing world, albeit on the other side of it from
you, privatised multistakeholder governance mechanisms are gaining a
lot of traction here in the Caribbean. We do not think that this is a
negative thing by any means.
 We also are somewhat divided in the concept of governments being the
good and the true representatives of the people, as we have a history
of some very nasty totalitarian governments, governments that have put
their own interests above that of the people they purport to serve,
governments that do very little for the people. The private sector is
viewed in many places here without the negative associations that some
others from the South seem to view it. Thus, as another developing
world citizen, it isn't quite true that the opinions that you profess
are representative of the "South" as a whole, and you should include
that caveat as well.
Given that one of the issues that is being raised here is the
narrowness of breadth of support for IGC positions on the issues, it
is necessary to follow this concept through in ALL areas. You cannot
condemn lack of inclusiveness and diversity in views on the one hand,
but do the same on the other. Given that the South is not well
connected, you may not be hearing many of the views of other
Southerners from other areas not your own, thus my intervention here.

And wrt ICANN being the " legitimate representative of the whole
population of the world" - it is quite obvious that the context is
within its mission - which is narrowly defined. However, if it is
successful, then I see no reason that you cannot use the methodology
to apply in other spheres of global governance.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com
T&T Music and videos online