[governance] Present draft does not consider 'real oversight options'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Nov 6 13:10:00 EST 2005

Hi Jeanette,

You have been avoidably sensitive in blaming me for aggression,
dis-crediting members and damaging the space of IG list/caucus. Such blame
has the effect of stifling debate.

I did not discredit anyone nor use aggression. I used every word I wrote
with discretion and a good amount of thought. And I have tried to study
issues in the last few weeks about IG, and the manner of its advocacy in CS,
and thereupon interposed my opinions here because I felt that some important
advocacy issues that I and my organization believe in needed to be
addressed. I can assure you that I did not take all this effort for the
purpose of discrediting anyone.

I don't understand why would you accuse me of such a thing. And why would
you not see that I only highlighting issues in their connection to a point
of view which I was presenting, (and one can judge, I strongly believe in).
Even if you do not agree with it, I request your patience with it.

And you have bypassed all substantive issues in my email. For example, about
the strong views that are held on privatized governance in civil society
across the world that haven't found much expression here. And, to give
another example, if everyone really does agree that the whole world is the
'internet community' today, what exactly are these reforms that I keep
hearing about that ICANN is soon going to do which will make it legitimate
representative of the whole population of the world. It indeed will be very
interesting to learn about them because if ICANN indeed is going to be able
to do this, I am ready to trust it with many other pressing non-IG global
governance issues as well...........

Regards

Parminder