[governance] suggested changes to chairs paper, paras 45 and 65

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sun Nov 6 11:43:12 EST 2005

Il giorno 06/nov/05, alle ore 15:52, Danny Younger ha scritto:

> Hi Veni, and thanks for the clarification.
>
> Perhaps my confusion stemmed from Vittorio's
> stakeholder division construct wherein I saw the
> private sector in conjunction with technical community
> being responsible for infrastructure innovations, not
> civil society per se:
>
> * national governments, including intergovernmental
> organizations;
> * the private sector, including the technical
> community;
> * civil society, including the community of individual
> Internet users

The problem comes from the fact that, historically, the UN rigidly
divides the world into governments, private sector and civil society,
while on the Internet the "technical and academical community"
usually spans across the three groups. We've had endless discussions
on this both in the WGIG and in the WSIS, but in the end it was
agreed that governance structures should stick to the tripartite view
of the world, while welcoming techies and professors into any of the
three groups as appropriate. Grossly speaking, engineers (with the
very significant exception of the free software movement) tend to be
associated with corporate employers, while universities tend to be
considered part of civil society, but that's of course very approximate.