[governance] "pre-eminent role"

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 18:04:52 EST 2005

Hello Ian,

I remember a time when civil society chose to confront
ICANN over multiple issues ranging from legitimacy to
accountability.  It engendered a reactonary response
that resulted in the loss of all At-Large directors,
the structural dissolution of the DNSO General
Assembly and the end of the open Public Comment Forum
at ICANN.

On this occasion, civil society appears to be in the
face of yet another power broker, the USG.  I fail to
see the value of language that accomplishes nothing
more than the promotion of confrontation, and that has
the potential of producing yet another backlash.

With regard to the evolution of ICANN, I don't need
any more of the "evolution" that Civil Society has
already wrought... The At-Large has suffered greatly
as a result of your last intervention.