[governance] Text on oversight

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Sat Nov 5 17:37:11 EST 2005

Il giorno 05/nov/05, alle ore 22:56, Raul Echeberria ha scritto:

> 1) the last part of the paragraph 64 C, item b) should be reworded. I
> think that it is a subjective statement and it is not clear what does
> "Western" mean in this context. Are you talking about regional
> unbalance
> or an unbalance between developed and developing countries?

That is sort of a difficult para. We had a first formulation in our
caucus text for PrepCom3, which said:

"ICANN must ensure full and equal multi-stakeholder participation on
its Board, and throughout its organizational structures of the
community of Internet users, national governments, civil society, the
technical community, business associations, non profit organizations
and non-business organizations."

I did not like this sort of unordered list, and thought to make the
provision a bit more precise. So it became:

"ICANN must ensure full and equal multi-stakeholder participation on
its Board, and throughout its organizational structures, of the three
stakeholder groups:
* national governments, including intergovernmental organizations;
* the private sector, including the technical community;
* civil society, including the community of individual Internet
users, non-profit organizations and the academic community."

However, Adam rightfully objected that he and others do not think
that governments should have equal representation on the ICANN Board
and, in general, in ICANN's technical processes. So I tried to reword
it as it is now:

"ICANN must ensure full and balanced multi-stakeholder participation,
in appropriate ways throughout its policy development structures, of
the three stakeholder groups:
* national governments, including intergovernmental organizations;
* the private sector, including the technical community;
* civil society, including the community of individual Internet
users, non-profit organizations and the academic community.
In particular, the current dominance of the ICANN Board and decision-
making processes by Western business representatives should be
balanced by an equal representation of the global community of
individual users and civil society organizations."

The idea is: we don't want to say that governments should have seats
on the ICANN Board, but we want to say that civil society should get
half of the Board seats, as per the original ICANN footprint.

In this context, "Western business" identifies the fact that ICANN
decision-making positions are mostly occupied by people who work with
developed country businesses, and its policy making processes are
mostly attended by this kind of people. I don't think this is a
subjective statement - we may reword it if it is not clear in the
current draft.

> 2) 64C, part e), could be more generic. The idea of appeal process is
> ok, but I would not mention any detail. It is very early for that.

That was "inherited" text from the caucus statement, and I remember
some people strongly arguing for it. Would they be fine with a
rewording in a more general sense?