[governance] Fwd: The US factor in the WSIS needs highlightingas much as the Tunisian factor

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Nov 2 11:55:37 EST 2005

Sorry McTim,

I must disagree.  The tragedy of WSIS is not an absence of "concrete
action on bridging the digital divide" but rather it is in not
developing concrete actions for the "effective use" of ICTs in support
of the range of local processes for development in such areas as health,
learning, local economic development.

The experience has been, in Africa as elsewhere, that those local
implementations that focus on "access" (i.e. "bridging the Digital
Divide") are almost universally (economically and socially)
unsustainable in the longer term.

Those implementations that focus on real locally identified ICT enabled
"uses" are much more likely to survive and be useful.

As an aside, I'm delighted to see that the language of ICT "use" (after
much CS discussion pre-Geneva WSIS) is creeping into the recent official
WSIS documents alongside if not yet replacing the rather less useful
terminology of "the Digital Divide".

Best,

Mike Gurstein