[governance] Fwd: The US factor in the WSIS needs highlighting as much as the Tunisian factor

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Nov 1 09:00:51 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 12:57 +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> this was posted a few hours ago to the plenary list. I disagree with the
> overall approach and with putting special emphasis on criticism against
> the US, but I though it useful to forward the message, for those of us
> who do not follow the Plenary list to get an idea of other points of
> view. I think they might even be widely shared in the broader WSIS civil
> society circles.

I will agree with Vottorio on this one.Putting special emphasis on
criticism against the USG is problematic and not constructive at all.

The UN has its faults too, as does ICANN - should we not be looking at
those as well ? Change and representation at the UN for civil society is
complex, difficult and hard to obtain at times. We have seen, now on
numerous occasions how easy it is for govts to just lock the doors and
keep us out.

Change at the UN is slow, very slow. I am perplexed why there isn't a
two track approach - both critical (of the USG and others), and
constructive - giving specific recommendations not only to the UN but
ICANN and others on how arrangements could be improved.

more comments below.

IG regime is perhaps larger than you think. there may be items where the
USG may be flexible and other areas where that is not the case. We
should not lose track of the area where the USG is indeed willing to be
flexible.

> US says that when it - its executive authority and its territorial law-
> exercises oversight control over ICANN it doesn’t amount to exercising
> control.

do we have a lawyer who can check that out for us?

> But when the same arrangement goes to a UN body (let us assume the
> minimalist change in the IG regime where nothing changes except that
> ICANN plugs into the UN, and UN exercises the same level of oversight as
> US does today, and ICANN even if physically located in the US, gets UN
> immunities) *the UN is said to be exercising control. *

when - like in 3 weeks, 3 years, 3 decades? Let's be realistic on the
time frame. I don't think it should happen as fast as you imply.

I would be one that would be scared for the UN to control the internet.
Countries like lybia and cuba have been heading the high commission for
human rights - do we want countries like that to head a UN agency that
controls the internet..? It is possible, and quite scary. too scary for
many.

> And the problem is that many in the CS falls for this argument. They are
> fixated so much on certain fears about Internet getting 'controlled'
> that they entirely forget other issues which are as important.

The are issue of human rights sure - and those are important.

It looks like there are those that look at IG just in a narrow context,
and others with a wider one. The wider lens seems to including linking
the IG discussions to those of trade and other developmental issues

I would agree that internationally the USG isn't to well liked these
days for a variety of reasons.  Should those other reasons, reasons that
we all "imply" but not mention , be linked to the IG discussions?

Another key aspect to always consider is the technology itself - what
would the technical/administrative implications be of any change. We
need to hear from the technologists and head their warnings . I do not
think their voices are being heard - at least, not as much as they
should be.

If there is consensus that the "day to day running of the internet" is
to stay how it has been done - then, we should listen to those who do
it..If they say the status quo is fine, then that means something. Let's
not ignore it.

>  And most of this CS constituency comes from the North.

ah - ha. Just because there are more people from the "north" doesn't
mean that southern issues aren't considered . I think it is too
simplistic a view to use the North vs. south argument to explain things.

> It is the issues of
> sovereignty, legitimacy, and fairness and equity in global governance.

don't forget that there are countries in the north that also care about
national sovereignty.

> They may trust US more than they do UN, we in the South do not. In
> debates over IG, countries like Iran, China and S Arabia are held up as
> self-descriptive symbols of certain things – but please do not forget
> that US is also held as an strong symbol of many uncomplimentary things
> for the South.

Too simplistic an answer for me. the USG has its problems now - but so
does the UN. The oil for food scandal does not make things easier.

The US congress would have to ok any changes that would bring some
roles, functions and responsibility to an international agency. Frankly,
that "ain't going to happen" in a congress where the republicans rule
both the senate and house of Representatives.

Calling for big changes is setting expectations too high. Let's get real
- let's reset our expectations to ones that are realistic and
achievable.

regards

Robert