[governance] Striking the right balance between private and public interests on the Internet

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Wed Dec 7 11:14:29 EST 2005

Leaving aside the politics for a moment, it is just bad engineering to have a single point of failure is Tim's point I believe.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> "Milton Mueller" <Mueller at syr.edu> 12/7/2005 10:23 AM >>>

>>> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> 12/6/2005 4:01 PM >>>
>> It is easy to do this cheaply and quickly via VSAT.
>
>At the cost of national independance (unless you own the satellite).

Stephane. I didn't expect to hear the old "we must protect telephone monopolies to maintain our national independence" line from you. Last time I heard that it was from the Chinese communist party. National independence from what - efficient supply of telecom services? consumer choice?