[governance] Emergency resolution on .xxx

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Wed Aug 17 05:44:39 EDT 2005

Dear Milton,

4,000 miles away from what? I'm right here. Or does one now need to be in
center of the universe to have a view on US policy?  You're what, 500
miles away from DC, and hence less academic?

> What you fail to take into account is the appointment of a new Deputy
> Secty of Commerce. In my humble opinion, this wouldn't have happened if
> a guy from Arlington TX with a Ph.D. from the Abilene Christian
> University wasn't put into Ted Kassinger's place on July 22.

I wasn't failing to take anything into account.  I *agreed* with you that
domestic politics are key here, so what's with the pedantry?

> What evidence is there for your interpretation? Read Gallagher's

Um, listening to the public statements of and talking privately to
government representatives, including US government representatives, here
in Geneva, 4,000 miles away.

> letter. There is not a single reference to the concerns of other
> governments.
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/gallagher-to-cerf-15aug05.pdf

Not a single reference, other than this:  "We also understand that other
countries have significant reservations regarding the creation of a .XXX
TLD."

Bit perplexed at your reaction, but again, whatever the relative weight of
domestic and international factors may be (I guess you think it's 100/0%
while I suspect it's more like 65/35%---who cares), I said I share your
concerns here.  And I would support any collegially organized initiative
you undertake to call attention to the problem.

Best,

Bill