[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri Aug 12 08:18:43 EDT 2005

This proposal reminds me of Garrincha, as I mentioned elsewhere. The
great soccer player received instructions from his coach: "you go
through Dimitri, pass by Igor, go deep into the right corner and kick to
the center of the goal -- simple!". And Garrincha: "did you negotiate
this with the Russians?"

--c.a.

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

>Actually, you can easily have decentralization and hierarchy at the same
>time.  Here's a simplified example:
>
>Suppose that the controller of the root were to create 26 organizations to
>help it run the DNS, each controlling assignments starting with a
>different letter of the alphabet.  Each subsidiary organization could
>create no more than X new TLDs per year.
>
>Now you have all the virtues of hierarchy, no collisions, no creation of
>TLDs above quota, and 26 bodies empowered to experiment safely.
>
>More real-world structures of this sort are left as an exercise for the
>reader....
>

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, McTim wrote:
>

>>Hi again,
>>
>>On 8/9/05, Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Carlos:
>>>
>>>A more decentralized & distributed DNS system that doesn't get us
>>>into multiple name-spaces and is more secure than the current regime
>>>would be ideal - but is it possible? if so, how would the transition
>>>occur?
>>>

>>I think you want too much.
>>
>>The DNS is distributed by it's very nature.  It is also hierarchical
>>in architecture, this can't be decentralised.
>>
>>Security is another matter, and is deployable now.
>>
>>You'll have to design the new *thing* yourself, I can't imagine much
>>enthusiasm amongst IETF DNS folk.  You'd obviously have to design it
>>with transition in mind.
>>
>>good luck with this one.
>>

>>>if details are available, by all means point me to them.
>>>

>>For the security aspect, www.dnssec.net

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br