[governance] centralisation was ( Comments related to the WGIG report)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:52:51 EDT 2005

hello,

I think we have a different view of what Robert meant by decentralisation.

On 8/10/05, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law
<froomkin at law.miami.edu> wrote:
> Actually, you can easily have decentralization and hierarchy at the same
> time.  Here's a simplified example:
>
> Suppose that the controller of the root were to create 26 organizations to

You still have a centralised "controller of the root".  My thinking
was that Robert meant seperate roots.

> help it run the DNS, each controlling assignments starting with a
> different letter of the alphabet.  Each subsidiary organization could
> create no more than X new TLDs per year.

This is just adding more TLDs,

.abba
.animal
.
.
.betting
.boating
.
.

Unless you want to get away from .com, .net, etc. In which case, you
are just replacing one level of hierarchy with another.  The ccTLD
folk would be hopping mad, and the registry/registrar folks would sue
everybody involved.

I guess anything is possible, but some things are just not likely ;-).

--
Cheers,

McTim
nic-hdl:      TMCG