[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Wed Aug 10 09:28:07 EDT 2005

Actually, you can easily have decentralization and hierarchy at the same
time.  Here's a simplified example:

Suppose that the controller of the root were to create 26 organizations to
help it run the DNS, each controlling assignments starting with a
different letter of the alphabet.  Each subsidiary organization could
create no more than X new TLDs per year.

Now you have all the virtues of hierarchy, no collisions, no creation of
TLDs above quota, and 26 bodies empowered to experiment safely.

More real-world structures of this sort are left as an exercise for the
reader....

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm