[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Aug 10 16:43:20 EDT 2005

At 09:39 PM 10/08/2005, McTim wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>On 8/9/05, Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:
> > Carlos:
> >
> > A more decentralized & distributed DNS system that doesn't get us
> > into multiple name-spaces and is more secure than the current regime
> > would be ideal - but is it possible? if so, how would the transition
> > occur?
>
>I think you want too much.
>
>The DNS is distributed by it's very nature.  It is also hierarchical
>in architecture, this can't be decentralised.

This has been a much travelled road. Once you have multiple name spaces and
the various users of these name spaces want to communicate across the
namespace boundaries then you need to refer to yet another namespace that
identifies each name space and associates with it some referential  pointer
to the method of resolution for that space. In that case I can send you a
referential pointer within my namespace and the identity of my
namespace  which you you could then couple with this 'root' namespace list
to resolve the  reference. The striking similarity of this informal
description to the root zone of the DNS should, in theory, not be a
surprise. But I suspect that the school of namespace social commentary that
goes along the lines of :
Emacs!

would still be in strong denial over such claims of implicit structure and
associated constraint in the use of identity realms in communications systems.

Regards,

     Geoff Huston