[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Aug 10 17:00:12 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have a slightly different concern about multiple namespaces.  I
think that the push for these namespaces is about to boil over, and
despite the technical problems and perhaps the inadvisability of such
a move, it is going to happen sooner or later.

So, given that eventuality, I wonder whether it is time to start work
on the solutions that would allow continuing Internet connectivity.
We can advise as much as we want against the creation of multiple
name spaces, but such a policy cannot be enforced.  Should  the
policy CS recommends be one of refusal to accept the possibility or
should the policy recommendation be one of preparation for the probable?

Or is this an area we should avoid for the time being while focusing
on the more pressing needs of developing countries?

a.