[governance] Caucus process comment

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 4 11:43:32 EDT 2005

> Vittorio wrote:
>> a sort of "bill of rights" of Internet users, ie the Internet version
>> of the UDHR,

I strongly suggest to not do anything in this direction without close
coordination with the Human Rights Caucus. I know that Rikke Frank
Joergensen is currently finishing an edited volume (in Bill's MIT series)
on Human Rights in the Information Society. There is a lot of stuff out
there already.
Another thing is the debate around communication rights that might start
again then. Not sure if this would mess things up or bring in some
perspectives...

Wolfgang replies:
> This could be good idea and initiative. We have Barlows Declaration of
> Cyberindependence, which needs some streamlining after eight years.

The Barlow declaration is a historical document from the heights of cyber
self-regulation. I don't think it can simply be updated under current
circumstances.

Pragmatically speaking, I would recommend to start from the documents this
caucus has already produced and polish those so everyone more or less agrees.

Everything further is a bit too much work for now and as I said needs more
coordination with other caucuses. We could / should keep that project in
mind for PrepCom3 and the summit, as we will probably need an independent
CS document for the summit again.

Ralf